Navbar

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Pranava : Coming back into Fashion

As I travel around London, buses and tube stations alike are adorned with huge posters of the much awaited younger Lara Croft holding a fully drawn bow with the tagline 'a survivor is born'. As I look at all these images I think to myself, is it just because I picked up archery recently or is it really all around us nowadays!

Archery also features heavily in almost every medieval fantasy world - Legolas in The Lord of Rings, The Hobbit and almost everyone in the TV series The Game of Thrones portray archery as a weapon of precision and talent. However, it’s also interesting to see archery feature in modern day comics. I didn't even know there was a character called the Hawkeye before I watched Marvel's Avengers! In all fairness, that’s my shortcoming since Hawkeye has been part of the Avengers since the 60s. Of course I was glad to find that there is an archer in the midst of the expensive-gadgeted billionaires and born-with-powers gods, etc. For whatever reason, there he is!

There is also a new TV series Arrow based an old DC comics hero Green Arrow. Apparently he survived 5 years on an island and is a billionaire in Starling City, much like Gotham's Batman except Batman never thought of getting a bow. The survivor theme seems to be key. Katniss Everdeen survived The Hunger Games with more help from her bow than from Haymitch her mentor. The Hunger Games movie apparently brought many people into archery, so much so that a lot of people have asked me if that was my reason. Funnily enough though the movie never actually seems to focus on the shooting itself - unlike Merida in Brave. Even though it's only a couple of scenes, Brave does make a good go of portraying archery accurately. Even the fletchings on the arrow are correctly aligned (unlike Avatar where the technique is so horrible archery looks to be somewhat risky for both hunter and hunted alike). Brave also portrays archery as having a lovely rebellious edge.

So, to conclude, although archery is an ancient skill it is also definitely the newest fashionable sport in town! You simply can't have fantasy fiction without an archer! And actually.. I’ve just spotted another theme. Green Arrow and Hawkeye are old comics but the newer archery heroes are all women! Ha! Now I am definitely trying to pull a fast one!


4 comments:

I've been seeing all of the Tomb Raider posters everywhere and can't help but critique her technique. I also keep thinking her bow looks like it's made from cast iron. I used to have a garden fence that looked very similar. And just look at that wrist! That's what happens when you forget to wear a bracer! :D

The technique may be bad, but metal bows are not unknown. There are some exquisite steel bows from the Mughal Empire, now rare antiques.

They should practice a lot. It is a sport of practice and patience also. I have started this recently. move forward

Green Arrow was also on Smallville for about Five season, and he did archery there as well. Sheena : Queen of the Jungle also took up archery, if you buy her 1984 movie & 2000's tv show you will see it.

Post a Comment

Sign up to our mailing list for news and promotions:

Enter your email address:

Share:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More