Navbar

Sunday 12 May 2013

Pranava : A new bow comes with new challenges


I finally bought a bow! My very own and very first so I thought I’d share the experience. 

I first started shooting in October 2012. I contemplated buying a bow in December but just before I planned to go shopping I went on vacation. When I got back I felt a bit like I was starting all over again. After a couple more useful months of practice (in February 2013), I realised that I was still shooting the 18lb club traIning bow. As I’d been practicing for around 5 months at this point I felt that I could probably manage something a little heavier. So each week I pushed myself a little and in three sessions I moved from 18 to 26lb (still using 2020 Archery bows)!

At the same time as I was increasing the poundage of the bow I started to gather information about equipment to try and make myself look like a knowledgeable buyer and mask (at least some of) my ignorance. So, on a sunny Saturday in March I set off to my nearest archery shop. A number of people had suggested that I should try out different risers so this was my plan. However, once I got to the store I discovered that there were only two risers within my budget (having a budget makes life far simpler). 

The first riser that I tried was pretty awesome, and felt much heavier than the wooden club bow. By the time I tried the second one I was super tired from practicing with the first so it seemed heavier - despite the sales girl insisting that it was in fact lighter than the previous one. Even with the extra weight I thought that the second bow was pretty awesome as well! I basically couldn’t tell the difference at all. Except that the more expensive one was prettier to look at. I thought for a bit… and then thought a bit more… and then decided to buy the pretty one! 

So I ended up with a beautiful red Hoyt Horizon riser and 26lb SF Premium limbs to go with it. I did buy an entire kit, mostly going for the cheaper options where possible. In total I came out with the bow plus 8 Jazz arrows with red/white fletchings, a basic sight, bow-stand, quiver, arm guard, finger tab, arrow puller and bow-stringer. I also bought a backpack as I can't possibly carry it all without one. Most people told me that the whole thing would take about 3 hours, but I reckon that I did it in only about 30mins! 

I was really eager to try it the next day, but as always seems to happen when I get very excited about something, bad luck followed and I woke up with flu. I had to wait an entire week before I could use my new kit. I turned up to the practice session at my usual time and found that It took me a good quarter of an hour just to fix everything together! I also made a good many mistakes as I did so and required a bit of help! Eventually I managed to get started and it then took me the next half of the session to nail down the sight marks. At this point I realised that shooting a club bow was a lot easier! 

My second attempt was much better. I set up my kit in roughly 10 minutes - and managed to do it completely on my own without help. I also learnt that there is an upper limb and a lower limb and that they are not interchangeable! Ahem. 

I’m now gradually getting to the point where I feel like the bow is right for me and its starting to feel like mine. Just as important as this is learning how to take care of it properly and - easier this one - learning to love it!

If you're interested in taking the same course that Pranava did she was on the Fast Track Archery course - these courses run throughout the year and cost only £95. http://www.2020archery.co.uk/lessons-courses-7/Weekend-Beginners-Course

10 comments:

Great post Pranava!

However it seems like the shop didn't do all they could for you. The 3 hours that you may have heard people speak about is when the people at the shop set the bow up and do an initial tuning on it as well. It sounds like you didn't get that part of the service. Here's a link to the Easton tuning Guide which tells you how to setup the bow and perform the initial tuning. Give it a go and if it all gets a bit confusing then just ask a member at the club for some clarity: http://www.eastonarchery.com/img/downloads/software/tuning_guide.pdf

Cheers, Bryn.

Nice choice. When I bought my recurve I was going to buy the Horizon, but with all the other equipment it didn't fit into my budget, so I went for the similar Hoyt Excel instead. Which shop was it?

Hi Chris, its a bit awkward for us to mention specific shops as we have affiliations and deals with various ones so if its o.k. we'll stick with 'I went to a shop'. Thanks - Heidi

That's fine. I suspect I know which due to it being the "Nearest" but thought it was worth checking in-case there's another one nearby that I don't know about. :)

I'm planning on buying my first bow this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how my experience compares with yours :)

Well, 3 hours later and I have my own bow. Was measured for draw length, arrow length, knocks set, shown how to assemble and disassemble bow, spent about 30 mins firing arrows and testing draw weight. About the only I didn't done was the button ... but then I didn't need to. First class service

Amazing... I love your pose on how you prepared for it. thanks

FIFA 14 Tutorial

Super ! This is a great blog about archery

thanks for such an informative post. Archery is a good recreational sport and it can help to shape the mind and the body positively. So we are here to guide and serve Archery in Pakistan with skilled and experienced coaches.

Out Door Opticals
I have read your article its very informative for us i really like it. Thanks

Post a Comment

Sign up to our mailing list for news and promotions:

Enter your email address:

Share:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More